Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hmmm....

Just a quick excerpt from another Jodie Picoult book that I found myself relating to. This one's from her book, Nineteen Minutes.


Nobody wants to admit to this, but bad things will keep on happening. Maybe that's because it's all a chain, and a long time ago someone did the first bad thing, and that led someone else to do another bad thing, and so on. You know, like that game where you whisper a sentience into someones ear, and that person whispers it to someone else, and it all comes out wrong in the end.
But then again, maybe bad things happen because it's the only way we can keep remembering what good is suppose to look like.



I read that and just went hmmm, I like that. I like her reasoning here. That bad things just sometimes happen and that they will continue to happen but that maybe just maybe we might have a deeper appreciation for the good things in life that we do have left. I'm trying to do that. Some days its harder than others but I think I really am better at it than before. I have a choice here, to stare at all that I've lost and to loose myself in it or to look away a little more and see the sunshine outside my window. Not that I wont have bad days but at least I can choose to enjoy those few not so bad days and not beat myself up about it to bad.





9 comments:

Monica said...

I love that idea too, thanks for sharing it.

Holly said...

I do think we come to appreciate the good things more.

Brie said...

What book are you reading?

Deni said...

Thanks for sharing and that furthers my decision to give you the blogger award on my page, check it out!!

Jen said...

so true..love it..thanks for sharing!!

Mary said...

It is odd that you mention it, because I have really gotten into Jodi's books since Adelle died. I guess sometimes you just need to read some stories that don't always end well.

Lisette said...

This post is very true, thank you for sharing it.

Lighthouse Photography said...

So true! I do think that the joys in life are sweeter when you have experienced such grief

Tiffany said...

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but that is so true!
Thanks for sharing and spreading the news of hope. :)