Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Mary Madeline Project



When they brought me Bryston for the first time, he was dressed in the most beautiful little white outfit. It wasnt an outfit that I had brought with us, and I had never even laid eyes on it before. In fact we never even considered having someone bring an outfit that we had bought in anticipation of his arrival to the hospital. What he would wear after delivery was the last thing on my mind. It just wasnt something that I could even let myself think about. I just kept hoping that we'd get to the hospital and they'd say it was a mistake, that they'd locate a hearbeat and we could go home. Nightmare avoided, but that wasnt to be. We had a ton of outfits for him already but I hadnt picked one out yet to bring him home in or anything. I dont think I was in any state to have chosen one anyway. All I could think about in the ambulance on the way to the hospital was that my baby was gone and how was I going to live without him?

The outfit came from The Mary Madeline Project. They make outfits and blankets out of donated wedding/bridal gowns. In the memory box that they gave us was a little slip of blue paper that read: This garment was prepared for your precious child from a treasured bridal gown, May the love the was shared on that special day enfold and comfort you at this time, Blessings. We also recieved a blanket that they had made out of the gowns, it is lovely and something that I can hang on to in my darkest moments and remember Bryston. What this organization does is amazing. They run on donations only. Donations of the dresses and monetary donations. If you are able to donate please do so. If you'd like to donate please let me know or go to the website http://www.marymadelineproject.org. If you do not have a child that has passed please donate in in memory of Bryston Ray Davison if you wouldnt mind. It would mean alot to me to have his name live on.

When I walked up the sidewalk to donate my wedding gown I didnt know what to expect. I didnt know what kind of people would answer the door. It turns out that the people making these outfits are as kind and compassionate as the orgaization itself. I knocked on the door and a man with a kind face answered the door. He warmly invited me in. I entered and a woman on the couch, her name is Carlyn, asked if I was the one from Shenandoah. I said yes I was. She asked if her directions had gotten me lost. I said No that in fact she was located just a block from where my son was buried. She looked at me with tears in her eyes and told me just how sorry she was for my loss. She then showed me all of the perfect and beautiful garments she and others had just finished. It was so nice to see what my dress would be made into to and just how intracate it could be. I walked out of that house feeling peaceful and knowing that I had done the right thing. That another family would be comforted by the fact that a dress that had been worn on the happiest day of my life might wrap their baby in a little bit of that love as well.

If you know of anyone wishing to donate please send them to The Mary Madeline Projects website or let me know and I will gladly take them for you if you dont want to hassle with it. Thank you for your continued prayers and support!

4 comments:

wife.mom.nurse said...

Hi Jennifer,

My name is Julie and I am Brian (Switch2PlanB's) wife. I wanted to introduce myself to you and to offer my condolences on the loss of your precious Bryson Ray.

I feel like my reading your blog was meant to be as I am a nurse who specializes in helping families who have lost a baby in addition to being a Firewife.

My heart goes out to you as you go through the incredible heartache of losing your baby. I see that only a month has gone by and I get a lump in my throat knowing the pain you are in.

Are you aware of the fact that there are many blogs out there where mother's are sharing their experiences after losing babies. Please let me know if you need any links. My email is wifemomnurseblog@gmail.com

This organization is amazing. I want to go and look at my 15 year old dress and see if it is still white. It had a bit of a stain that showed up a year later. (I was bad, I did not have it cleaned in a timely manner). The least I will do is make a monetary donation to a group who gave you something so precious.

We are blessed to have local church ladies make lovely gowns for our bereaved families.

God Bless you.

~Julie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Jennifer, that is a beautiful story. What a wonderful organization. I just love when I hear a story about people who go out of their way to help others during their deepest sadness. I am definately going to send them a donation. Take care & God Bless.

wife.mom.nurse said...

Hi Jennifer,

Got you comment and I feel the same, I feel like I know you too :)

I am unable to open your email on your profile (due to an ongoing problem with my computer).

Would you please leave your email either on my blog or on my email:
wifemomnurseblog@gmail.com

Thanks,
Julie

Once A Mother said...

I found you through a comment you left on my blog. I am so, so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful little Bryston. This road is a long, tough one, I am about 10 months further into this journey than you are and know how very hard those first 4-6 months were. If there is anything I can do to help you along, please do not hesitate to ask.